The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) has an exciting opportunity for a National Researcher who will primarily support and contribute to two projects administered from IWMI Anand office: the IWMI-Tata Water Policy Program (ITP) and the IWMI-GIZ-CInI collaborative project, “Solar Energy for Rural Livelihoods” (SE4RL).
Both the projects have a significant focus on improved resource management for supporting and enhancing livelihoods of rural communities. The work would involve exploratory, qualitative research, field-based data collection and analysis; undertaking field studies; designing and monitoring field experiments and action research pilots; institutional and policy analyses, project management; stakeholder consultations; and development of suitable business models for livelihood enhancement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
IWMI-Tata Program (ITP)
- Assist the ITP Program Leader and Tata Trusts’ RUP team in delivering the research outputs and achieving the development outcomes
- Contribute to ITP’s core research themes:  Millionaire smallholder cohorts; [b] Water-Energy-Food nexus; [c] Water productivity, demand management and risks.
- Contribute to the development and execution of ITP field experiments and action research pilots in collaboration with Tata Trusts’ field teams and associate organizations.
- Provide guidance and oversight to IWMI research officers, ITP Pre-Doctoral Fellows, young consultants, field associates, research partners and student interns.
- Author / co-author synthesis papers and policy highlights / briefs based on field and action research carried out as part of ITP.
- Assist the ITP Program Leader in Program Management and Donor Reporting.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by ITP Program Leader.
Solar Energy for Rural Livelihoods (SE4RL)
- Assist the SE4RL Project Leader in designing, executing, and monitoring the action research pilots and delivering the project outputs.
- Provide guidance and oversight to IWMI research officers, field associates, field partners and student interns in field work, data collection and analyses.
- Support the design and conduct of complimentary research studies.
- Author / co-author case studies, synthesis papers and policy briefs based on field and action research carried out as part of SE4RL.
- Assist the SE4RL Project Leader in Project Management and Donor Reporting.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by SE4RL Project Leader.
- Develop and/or contribute to new research proposals for external donor funding, including bilateral funding, in consultation with fellow IWMI researchers.
- Engage with key stakeholders in project implementation, policy advocacy and dissemination of project outcomes to contribute to development goals.
- Produce articles for peer-reviewed publication, in a timely manner, jointly and independently, in accordance with IWMI’s policies and procedures for publication of research outputs.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Masters / PhD in water resources / rural management / agriculture / economics / natural resource management / related field.
- Sound quantitative, qualitative and analytical skills; ability to synthesize and write persuasively.
- A clear understanding of development challenges, especially in relation to water use in agriculture, water-energy-food nexus, water security, governance and rural livelihoods in India.
- Experience in water-related research or action-research and the ability to apply knowledge from other related fields to water management, rural institutions and livelihoods.
- Ability and eagerness to undertake field-based research and action research.
- A minimum of 3 years of research or action-research experience with proven track record of publications in relevant national and international journals.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work in diverse, inter-disciplinary teams.
Apply here. Download the job description from the attachment below.